Sweet juicy red raspberries are a delight to see and eat in the summer! Raspberries are so good for us with all the health benefits making them one of the Powerfoods!
Health Benefits of Raspberries:
- Helps keep your metabolic rate high with high levels of the trace mineral manganese.
- One of the top 10 antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables.
- Has twice the ORAC value (antioxidant) of oranges or apples and higher than blueberries.
- Contain ellagic acid, a natural substance which is an anti-carcinogenic (cancer-preventing).
- High in vitamin C. One cup provides over half your daily requirement
- Has more fiber than most fruits. One cup of raspberries provides over 8 grams of dietary fiber.
- The seeds are rich in vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids and have a natural SPF (sun protection factor) of 25 to 50.
- Naturally have no cholesterol and no sodium.
- One cup has only 64 calories with a low-glycemic index.
- Raspberry leaf tea is commonly used during pregnancy to combat the nausea of morning sickness.
- The sugars in raspberries are natural and healthy.
Did You Know?
- Raspberries are a member of the rose family.
- They are not just red: there are also black, purple and gold raspberries.
- The average raspberry has 100 to 120 seeds.
- Unripe raspberries do not ripen after they are picked!
Raspberries are very easy to grow. I started with one raspberry bush 11 years ago and now have a big raspberry patch! I picked over 8 buckets full this summer. In fact, I have been having buckets full for at least 7 years.
Right now, I a eat a large bowl of raspberries (after I pick them) every morning for breakfast. Mmmmm. I just love being able to do that.
What do I do with all those raspberries?
- Freeze lots of them so I have fruit all year.
- Make Raspberry ‘Vinaigrette’.
- Make jam.
- Give some to neighbours and friends.
- And of course I eat lots of them while they are fresh and in season.
To get healthy recipes and tips sent to your mailbox once a week with more information about these foods, subscribe to my newsletter. You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my 2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.
Copyright ©Diana Herrington www.RealFoodforLife.com