Cooking brown rice is simple but it is important to do a few simple things. I first discovered brown rice in my hippy days in the 1970’s and loved it right away with its full nutty taste. Don’t waste your money, calories or time on non-food white rice which has less nutritional value and is bland.
- Rinse rice well in water. (I hardly do this due to time)
- Add the 2 1/4 cups water and salt to the rice.
- Cover with tight lid.
- Bring rice, water and salt to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low.
- Simmer until all the water is absorbed – approximately 55 – 60 minutes.
Serves 4 -6
Brown Rice Cooking Tips:
- No Stirring, No Peeking! Stir the rice while it is cooking and you will end up with very mushy rice.
- A Tight-Fitting Lid is important to avoid too much water will boiling away before the rice has time to soften.
- Turn heat down to ‘Simmer’ so that too much water does not boil away leaving chewy rice. If you do forget, add back 2-4 Tbsp more water; if it is still chewy, add a little more.
- Checking to see if the rice is done. I use a chop stick (you could use a fork) to go down to the bottom of the pan of rice. All the water should be gone and the rice should be fluffy and tender. If it isn’t, you may add a little more water 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup water and simmer, with the lid on, a little longer.
Luxurious Brown Rice Pudding: Sugar-free and dairy-free, you can make this fast in a saucepan.