Here is my version of delicious Chinese vegetables which are vegan and gluten-free. This is a great dish to serve on the Chinese New Year or any day! I especially like the Chinese broccoli which is called gai lan which I get from a Chinese supermarket.
1/4 lb. carrots, sliced into large pieces 1/4 lb. Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan) or broccoli cut into large pieces
1/4 lb sugar snap peas de-stringed
1/4 lb. bok choy cut in large pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 red pepper, sliced (optional)
1/2 – 2 inch piece fresh ginger root, finely chopped (depends how gingery you like it)
1 – 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup water
2 – 5 tbsp. soya sauce
2 tbsp. arrowroot or Kuzu*
½ cup water 2 tbsp Almond oil
1. Sauté ginger and garlic in a pan with vegetable oil for 3 minutes on low heat.
2. Add ½ cup of water and vegetables.
3. Boil lightly with a lid on for 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender but crisp.
4. Mix arrowroot, soya sauce, and 1/2 cup water together.
5. Add arrowroot and water slowly to the vegetable mixture, stirring constantly.
6. Boil till clear.
7. Simmer for a few minutes.
8. Serve with brown rice.
*this is a healthy substitute for corn starch
Here are some other healthy and delicious vegetable recipes:
Vegetable Stir Fry – A vegetable stir fry is a very simple and quick meal that tastes great.
Steamed Vegetables – Broccoli was developed in Italy and is well known and one of the major anti-cancer foods.
Get healthy tasty vegan gluten free recipes and useful lifestyle tips sent to you once a week, subscribe to the newsletter.
You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my 2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.
Copyright © Diana Herrington http://www.realfoodforlife.com