It has been found that there are power foods to help us fight cancer. This is important as according to WHO, cancer is expected to rise 70% over the next 20 years even though there have been many advances in medical technology and knowledge. President Barack Obama, on January 13, 2016 announced a national initiative to find a cure for cancer.
Is it best that we just wait for the medical system to find a cure or can we do something for ourselves now?
The place to begin is with eating healthy real foods, especially foods that have been proven scientifically to help in fighting cancer. Here are six of them.
6 Power Foods to Help Fight Cancer
1. Tomatoes Help Lower Cancer Risk
- Breast cancer can be reduced with tomatoes with their high amounts of carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, lycopene, and total carotenoids) as shown by research in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute .
- Prostate cancer was found to be reduced in a study showing men who ate more than 10 portions of tomatoes or tomato products per week reduced their risk of prostate cancer by 18% compared to men who ate less than 10.
- Consuming tomatoes and tomato-based products has been shown to lower risk of lung, stomach, and prostate gland cancer and it may also preventive it for breast, cervix, oral cavity, colon, esophagus, and pancreas. It is clear that the current evidence favours the consumption of tomatoes and tomato products rather than lycopene supplements as stated in the Oxford Journals.
- Cruciferous vegetable have been shown to lower overall cancer risk according to research at Oregon State University.
- They have been found to help inhibit and regulate cancer-causing genes and “key to eliminating cancer” according to research at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- It was found that people who ate greater amounts of cruciferous vegetable Brussels sprouts had a lower risk of cancer, as stated at the National Cancer Cancer Institute fact page.
- Isothiocyanates, a compound found in cruciferous vegetables have been found in studies suggest that they may lower overall cancer risk, including colon and prostate cancer.
3. Avocados Help Cure Cancer
- The glutathione found in avocados has been found to help prevent some kinds of cancers.
Researchers found extracts from Hass avocados kill or stop the growth of pre-cancerous cells that lead to oral cancer.
- Avocado extract was found to inhibit prostate cancer.
- Molecules in avocados have been found to attack leukemia stem cells directly while leaving healthy cells unharmed according to a study.
4. Garlic Fights Cancer
- Lung cancer was decreased by 44% in a study with those who ate raw garlic two or more times a week according to a study published in the journal Cancer Prevention Research. The researchers also found that even smokers who ate raw garlic decreased their risk of lung cancer by around 30%.
- Garlic, as an allium vegetable, has been found in a study to protect against stomach and colon cancers.
- “In test tubes, garlic seems to kill cancer cells. And studies suggest that people who eat more raw or cooked garlic are less likely to get colon and stomach cancers and cancer of the esophagus.” – University of Maryland Medical Center.
5. Legumes (Beans and Lentils) Reduce Cancer Risk
- Prostate cancer was found to be lower in a six-year study of more than 14,000 Seventh Day Adventist men living in the United States. Those with the highest intakes of legumes (beans, lentils, or split peas) had a significantly lower risk of prostate cancer
- Legumes were found to reduce risk for colon cancer. Scientists examined 14 studies with 1,903,459 participants and the found that those consuming the most legumes, especially soybeans, had the lowest risk for cancer.
- Pancreatic cancer is less when legumes are consumed more than two times a week compared to those who ate legumes rarely or less than once a week according to a study.
6. Flaxseed Lignans Help with Lowering Cancer
- Reduce prostate cancer with flaxseeds. Research studies have shown that lignans can slow the growth of prostate cancer cells.
- Breast cancer survival was significant in three studies that followed thousands of women diagnosed with breast cancer published at PubMed Central® 1, 2, 3. They found, “Lignans might play an important role in reducing all-cause and cancer-specific mortality of the patients operated on for breast cancer.”
Graphic from: www.totalhealthinstitute.com