You can try to fool the body with chemical sweeteners but they don’t work.
3. Artificial Sweeteners
Why: They do not work!
It was found that an artificial sweetener makes your body less able to regulate energy. – Purdue University Research on Artificial Sweeteners.
If you are sensitive, you may notice they leave an awful taste in your mouth . Why would you want to put chemicals into your food? Read about the most common artificial sweeteners and their dangers.
Solution: Refined white sugar isn’t healthy. Replace it with small amounts of coconut sugar, honey, blackstrap molasses, and maple syrup, all of which have high levels of vitamins and minerals. Or if you would like no calories try a little stevia.
4. Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn
Why: Unhealthy Chemicals
A chemical coating in microwave popcorn bags breaks down when heated into a substance called perfluorooctanoic which is thought to be a cancer forming substance. – Environmental Protection Agency.
Artificial butter flavoring ingredient linked to key Alzheimer’s disease processes.
Diacetyl, a chemical used in the butter flavoring is so harmful to factory workers that it’s known to cause a debilitating respiratory disease called “popcorn workers lung”.
Solution: Pop Your Own and use real butter.
You can pop it on the stovetop in a pot. When they have popped pour some melted organic butter over them.
Or try my Curried Popcorn. YUM.
5. Store bought Salad Dressing
Why: Full of unhealthy fats, salts, sugars, artificial flavours and colours
We eat salads to be healthy. The problem is the salad dressing can make the salad into an unhealthy meal. This is particularly true of store bought cream-based dressings.
- They are usually full of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or sugar which also means lots of calories.
- They contain unhealthy oils like refined canola oil.
- Some Caesar, or creamy balsamic dressings use caramel colouring which have been linked to cancer.
- Creamy ones usually contain paint chemicals. They use titanium dioxide to make colors brighter and seem fresher. It can have lead in it.
- Monosodium glutamate is added to increase the flavour. Studies finds using MSG can cause weight gain.
Worst salad dressings:
- Buttermilk Ranch from Ken’s Steakhouse the unhealthiest with 2 tablespoons with 180 calories and 280 milligrams of sodium.
- Marie’s Blue Cheese Dressing: one serving contains 160 calories, 17 grams of fat, and 160 milligrams of sodium.
Solution: Make your own with cold pressed olive oil and alkaline forming fresh lemon juice.
Here are a three of my favourite recipes:
Yogurt Salad Dressing a very healthy creamy dressing.
Tomato Dressing made with fresh tomatoes.
Light Lemon Olive Oil Salad Dressing is a healthy low calorie dressing.
You may already have eliminated these! If so, make sure others in your life know about these unhealthy foods.