These healthy recipes for unhealthy foods are tasty as well as being good for us. I am sure you have noticed how unhealthy foods are being offered to us every day so it is good to have substitutes that are healthy.
Looking at the most unhealthy foods, here are 10 of the most unhealthy ones from in 2 posts: Top Foods to Eliminate From Your Diet and MORE Foods To Eliminate From Your Diet
Here are my 5 super healthy alternative recipes to keep you satisfied!
1. Eliminate that Bacon and Bacon Bits with all its fat and additives.
Get that salty crunch from healthy seeds.
Seed Topping for Salad, Rice or Vegetables
This is a quick way to add some extra flavour to your grain or steamed vegetables or just for a snack.
Pumpkin seeds are the only seeds that are alkaline forming.
1. Dry roast seeds in frying pan.
2. Stir constantly until golden brown.
2. Remove from heat.
3. Add tamari or soy sauce or Braggs.
4. Sprinkle on top of rice or vegetables.
*You can use sunflower seeds instead but they are not alkaline forming.
2. Replace Oreo Cookies or a Snickers bar with this easy homemade chocolate bar
Cherry Pecan Dark Chocolate Bar
This is a totally decadent chocolate that everyone loves.
4 squares (approx 112 gm) unsweetened chocolate*
3 Tbsp organic virgin coconut oil
2 Tbsp unpasteurized honey
1/4 teaspoon liquid stevia
1/4 cup pecans, roasted and chopped
1/4 cup dried unsweetened cherries chopped in half’s
- Dry roast pecans in a toaster oven or in frying pan (stir frequently so they do not burn).
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or very carefully in a saucepan.
- Oil with coconut oil a small pan of approximately 8 inches square.**
- Sprinkle evenly the cherries and pecans in the pan.
- When chocolate is melted; remove from heat.
- Mix in coconut oil and stevia.
- Then mix in honey.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over the cherries and pecans.
- Let cool in refrigerator or freezer.
- Once set, cut into squares.
- Store in covered container in refrigerator or freezer, if desired.
This recipe is just one of the many recipes in the Healthy Chocolate Project. This video course teaches you n how to make an assortment of amazingly delicious chocolates that uses only small quantities of healthy sugars and healthy oils.
2. Instead of store-bought salad dressings that are full of unhealthy fats, salts, sugars, artificial flavors, and colours.
We eat salads to be healthy. The problem is, the salad dressing can make the salad into an unhealthy meal. Make a big jar of this easy-to-make, low-calorie dressing. It’s alkalizing and healthy.
Light Lemon Oil Salad Dressing
This is a base recipe that you can make up different each time with a variety of herbs.
I use this a lot in my online cooking classes. What makes this light is the addition of water.
1 – 3 tsp. basil
1/2 – 1 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rosemary
2 tbsp. fresh mint (or 2 tsp. dried) for a mint dressing
- Put all ingredients into a blender; blend till smooth.
- Put in a jar with a lid and refrigerate till using.
Here are 2 more tasty, healthy salad dressings:
4. Replace Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn with its unhealthy chemicals.
Make your own popcorn in a hot air popping machine.
If you don’t have one you can just make it in a pot on the stove.
Then, melt butter,(or ghee) pour on, and sprinkle with salt.
This simple version is tasty and much more healthy than microwave popcorn, but if you want to spice it up, my favourite is Curried Popcorn.
The linings of the tin cans have a resin which contains bisphenol-A, or BPA. This is a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and even obesity.
Freezing Raw Whole Tomatoes (with their skins)
This is easier than making one’s own canned tomatoes. The least time-consuming way is to freeze whole raw tomatoes. Also, you can freeze sliced, chopped, puréed or even cooked.
- Raw thawed tomatoes may be used in any cooked tomato recipe.
- It is best to season after thawing, not before freezing. Freezing may either strengthen or weaken seasonings.
- They are best used in soups, sauces, and stews as they become mushy when they’re thawed.
- As with all frozen vegetables, it is best to eat them within about 8 months for best quality.
- Select firm, ripe tomatoes and discard any that are spoiled.
- Wash Tomatoes well under running water and dry it with a paper towel.
- Cut away the stem scar and surrounding area and discard it before freezing.
- Place the tomatoes on cookie sheets and freeze. Tomatoes do not need to be blanched before freezing.
- Once frozen put the tomatoes into freezer bags or other containers. Seal tightly.
You can freeze stewed tomatoes too. Remove stem ends, peel and quarter ripe tomatoes. Cover and cook until tender (10 to 20 minutes). Wait till cool then pack in containers, leaving headspace. Seal and freeze.
All the recipes on Real Food for Life are healthy and filled only with healthy ingredients.
Get healthy tasty vegan gluten free recipes and useful lifestyle tips
sent to you once a week, subscribe to the newsletter.
You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my
2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses